Miah

Miah
'Cooinda Moon Light Melody'

Friday, December 28, 2012

The Beginning Of A New Love Story...

When I was around 12 years old my Father took a friend and I to the Royal Adelaide Show. While there we checked out the pure bred dogs being shown. My Father half jokingly said to me if you see a small breed of dog you like, we might look into getting you one. I looked around and instantly feel in love with the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and told my Father, I would love one of those!


Anyway I never did get one, but my Father did end up taking me to the Animal Welfare League (SA) where I picked out a very cute Poodle x Terrier young female dog. I had Abbey for many years, loved her too bits, but unfortunately she ended up getting cancer and had to be PTS :(

I went on to own a couple of Heeler x type dogs (one I adopted from the AWL and the other one I rescued from a person who had treated him very cruelly. I trained both dogs and competed in obedience trials with them.

Years later in my early 30's I  met my now husband, and shortly after getting married I asked him if I could fulfil my childhood dream of owning a CKCS, and if we could start looking around at some at dog shows and check out some breeders. We still had one of my Heeler X's (Jenna) at that stage, but she was getting on in age.

My husband said we could start looking. He had never heard of the breed before and thought they weren't a very sporty type dog that he would prefer to get, but was prepared to at least find out more about them.

I did ring up some breeders, and we met some at a show. There was a breeder there that had Tri colour cavalier puppies (they weren't at the show). She said she was happy for us to come around and meet them and take it from there. I initially planned on finding a Tri colour cavalier puppy.

But like everything in life, sometimes the Universe has its own plans for us. We were about to leave, and a breeder suggested we speak to this other breeder (Merry) before we left. She had a young Blenheim cavalier up for sale and was taking expressions of interest to the right person/people as he was not taking a liking to the show ring or something to that effect. We instantly fell in love with him (Joey). The breeder said she would have a think on it and get back to us when she finished showing. She ended up choosing us, and the rest is history! The photo below is of Joey on the day we met him a the show.

Years down the track when our Jenna had to be sadly pts (also because of cancer) she kindly offered us Joey's Mum Renae.
                                   

We have been so very blessed to have two such beautiful cavaliers come into our life.. We have always thought it was part of fate they did.. Around the same time Joey's breeder offered us Renae (also a Blenheim) another breeder offered us one of her young male Tri colour Cavalier. I was flattered and excited as I had always wanted a Tri colour Cav, but my heart told me the best decision was to take Renae so she could be reunited with her son again. A decision we have never once regretted. Both her and Joey are Everything to us !!
 Joey on the left hand side, and Renae is on the right

Joey is now 8 and Renae is now 10. Unfortunately Renae was recently diagnosed with some liver issues, and we are currently treating her for it with some medication, and hoping they will reverse any damage done and lower her liver enzymes levels down. 10 is getting on for a Cavalier, and any extra time we get from her now will be a bonus. She is healthy enough apart from some mild shakes and a few other symptoms.

 Since buying our house, I have been quietly putting my feelers out over the last few years for a Tri colour puppy to add to our family (which also includes 2 cats, a bunny, love birds and some tropical fish). I had been aware sometimes it can take a few years to be on waiting lists with the right registered breeders, so I wanted to start looking around. If it had been our first time looking for one, colour would not worry me at the end of the day, I would be happy with any of the 4 colours they come in. This time round I have only wanted a Tri colour Cav, so it had limited me slightly.

I did email a few breeders but some of them never got back to me, or didn't seem very interested, so I just had to keep searching. I found Jenny of Cooinda Cavaliers, which we had previously met through the SA Cavalier Club, and she is an active member of their committee also. We wanted one that was similar to Joey and Renae's breeder in that we could keep in touch and know they would support us if we ever needed them.

After emailing Jenny and because she knew of us through the club, (Joey and Renae's breeder is also part of the SA  Cavalier Club) she was happy to put us on her waiting list if her Mindy had puppies in the near future.  Her tri colour bitch 'Mindy' was mated successfully with a Blenheim Cavalier 'Marcus', and we waited patiently to see if she became pregnant. And she did !

I was told there might not be any Tri colour pups, but if there was one, we would be considered (depending also on which one the breeder wanted to keep for herself)

Mindy went on to successfully deliver 2 Tri's and 2 Blenheims. I had been wishing and putting out positive thoughts  that she would have them on our 8th wedding Anniversary on the 27th Nov 2012. She did ! however it was a bit before her due date and she initially lost 2 other puppies :(

We have been getting weekly updates and photos of Mindy and her puppies, the breeder had told us she wouldn't be making any decisions for a few weeks until she knew they were all strong and healthy and also when she had made up her mind which one she wanted to keep. All we could do was try to keep being positive that we would be chosen for one of the Tri's !  I must say I had asked the Universe (I'm quite spiritual) for some signs that we would get our puppy, and there had been quite a few signs leading up the actual time the breeder made her decision ! I would have been more than happy with either a boy or girl, but I must admit deep down I was getting excited about the prospect of a little girl ! I think because I know Renae won't be around for many more years, I have been thinking it would be lovely to have a girl to take her place. Altho its not something I hope won't happen for a some time yet!

When the breeder (Jenny) emailed us to tell us she had made her decisions and would we be interested in the Tri girl, I was just so ecstatic, totally overwhelmed, so was my husband Michael. We have still been on cloud 9 since ! I really believe the Universe knew it was  time to have this little girl. I like to think that anyway! I had said to Michael either way I will leave it in the laps of the Gods, if its meant to be it will be, if not then perhaps the time was not right yet for him/her to enter our lives..

So 4 weeks later here we are!

We are  yet to go meet her, which we are hoping to over the next week or two. And Jenny has said we can name her if we want. We want to name her something to do with the Moon if possible.. or some meaningful name.. We have a few ideas but its harder naming a puppy than I thought it would be lol This is the first puppy I/We have ever owned, so it will be a new experience for us both, one we are looking very forward too!

It also is symbolic and very special  to me as I have never been able to bear any children, and this makes it even more special to us if that makes sense to any of you reading this.

Jenny usually keeps her pups until they are about 10 weeks to ensure they are healthy and ready for their new homes. She is intending to bring our puppy to our home when that time comes.

This is just the beginning of a very exciting journey. I am hoping to share it with others, or just for Michael and I to keep track of  our new adventure. For those of you interested in reading further about our new puppy,  please check back for more updates and photos. The pics I have used so far have been taken by her breeder, but we will take heaps once she comes to live with us at The Love Shack, Goolwa. We live near a beach which Im sure shes going to love going too once she's old enough.

Jules x







No comments:

Post a Comment